There are lots of common misconceptions about used car salesmen or dealerships that may discourage some buyers from even debating buying a used car. However, Wrench is here to debunk some common used car myths to make you confident about your decision to buy a used car.
Get a free quote
Whether you are buying a new or used car, there are a lot of things that you should do to make sure that you get the best deal possible. If you have decided that a used car is the right decision for you, there are even more things that you want to look out for to avoid getting scammed. It is extremely important that you do your research and get the car inspected before purchasing. Lucky for you, Wrench has a team of ASE certified mobile technicians that are happy to come to your home or to the dealership lot to conduct a used car inspection so that you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.
Here are the most common used car myths:
- You have to pay cash to get the best deal. While you will save on interest charges, you will not get a better deal on financing. Additionally, your credit score and down payment determine interest rate, so there is no real benefit to paying cash.
- Something is wrong with the car. People sell cars for all sorts of reasons, whether they are moving, want to upgrade, or simply need a change, so you should not automatically assume that there are problems with the car. Check the Vehicle History Report to find out what the car has been through.
- The Vehicle History Report will tell you everything about the car. While it does have some valuable information about its history and the number of owners, you should still hire a Wrench mobile technician to conduct a vehicle inspection prior to purchase. Oftentimes, past accidents will not show up on the vehicle history report, along with other potential mechanical issues. One of our mobile technicians will be able to take a look at the car and determine if you are getting a good deal or what the dealership may not be telling you.
- A new car is a better investment. New cars lose value as soon as they drive off of the lot, with average loss after one year sitting at around 20%. Buying a relatively new used car with low mileage can be a good investment because it is likely still in great shape without the price tag of a new car.
- You will not get a warranty. While this is true for most private sellers, most used car dealerships will offer you a warranty when you buy a used car. Make sure you read the warranty carefully and understand it to its full extent.
- Used cars have safety problems. The only used cars that may not have modern safety features like airbags or ABS are vintage models that are decades old. Nearly all used cars have the same safety features that new cars do, because they were also new cars at one point.
- Used cars are gas guzzlers. The amount of a gas that a car requires depends on the engine size and not whether the car is used or not. If the car was properly maintained by its previous owner, there should be no issues with gas. You can avoid this problem by following the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual (also available online) as well as getting the oil changed regularly and checking the spark plugs.
- Used cars always require more maintenance. As long as the car does not have significant issues when you purchase it, and if you take care of it properly, you may not have to put more work into than a new car. Many used cars are in near-perfect condition and therefore will not require thousands of dollars of work.
- The listed price is the final price. While some places may not be willing to go lower, it never hurts to try to negotiate because you may end up paying less than you initially thought.
- You have to take the deal on the spot or the car will be gone. Car salesmen will do everything they can to get you to buy a car on the spot, but the reality is they always have cars to sell, and if you tell them that you need a day or two to think about it, they usually cannot tell you no. Take the time you need to research multiple cars and figure out what is best for you, so that you do not find yourself in a situation where you do not feel comfortable with the car you are buying.
Wrench Improves Used Car Services: Introducing Lemon Squad
Here at Wrench, we are committed to learning and improving each and every one of our services. We have partnered with the premier Pre Purchase Inspection company: Lemon Squad. Lemon Squad has perfected the used car inspection routine, giving you the most information in their detailed inspection reports. When you book an appointment with Lemon Squad, you will be getting the peace of mind that your potential purchase right for you.
The best advice we can give you is to do your research and find out what car is right for you. When you think you have found your dream car, make sure to get it inspected by a Wrench mobile technician prior to purchase to ensure that you are getting the best deal possible. Additionally, it is important to take proper care of your used car by following the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual, because you may be able to sell your car for a good deal of money in the future. If you have any other questions about used cars or our mobile car repair services, contact our customer service team through email, email@example.com, or by phone, at 844-997-3624. Good luck, and happy shopping!
Get a free quote