Buying a car, new or used, is both an exciting and exhausting process, and you want to make sure you are getting the most bang for your buck. Used cars are a great option if you want a high quality vehicle without the price tag of a new car, but it is important to be educated and know what to look for in order to avoid getting ripped off or going home with a car that you are not happy with. Wrench has put together a list of tips for how to navigate this process to ensure that you go home with a car that is both the right fit for you and will keep you safe on the road. If you are still looking for reassurance after sealing the deal, schedule an inspection with a Wrench mobile mechanic who will be able to tell you if there are any repairs that need to be done before your car is ready to drive.
Get a free quote
Follow these tips when on the hunt for a used car:
- Do your research. Get as much information as possible from the current owner of the car, but gather outside information as well. CARFAX is a website that will tell you if the vehicle has been in any accidents, if there are any recalls, and how much work has been done to the car. It will give the car a rating that you can use to determine if it is up to your standards.
- Tire status. Assess all four tires to make sure they have even treads and wear. If they don’t, this could be a sign that the vehicle has poor alignment, which is something you want to avoid at all costs because it will cause you lots of problems down the road (pun intended).
- Total mileage. The average American drives around 13,000 miles per year, so dividing the total speedometer by the age of the car will tell you if the car has been driven more or less than average. If it has significantly more miles on it than what is typical of a car that age, this can be indicative of more wear and tear or mechanical issues.
- Thoroughly inspect the vehicle. Give the vehicle an in-depth inspection in broad daylight so that you are aware of any irregularities on the interior or exterior. It can be helpful to bring a friend with you for help, but do not be afraid to get your hands dirty. If you are unsure of what to look for, have a Wrench mobile mechanic inspect the vehicle before purchase to determine if it is safe to drive and worth the price.
- Examine the exterior for blemishes and rust. Carefully examine the body of the vehicle to determine if there are any scratches, dents, or rusting areas. While minor scratches or nicks may be easy to fix and not a deal-breaker, rust spots could potentially lead to more damage in the future. Inspect all glass for scratches or cracks because these can worsen quickly and be costly repairs, and confirm that all lights are in good shape. Additionally, open and close all doors, the hood, and the trunk to make sure there are are working properly and not loose.
- Get comfortable with the interior of the car. This is the place that you will be spending the most time, so it is important that you familiarize yourself with it before you make a purchase. Do a sniff test to determine whether there are any lingering odors that you cannot stand. Test the seats, pedals, sound system, and controls so that there are not any surprises when you try to play the radio and the only station you can get is static. Go through all of the motions that you would if you were actually driving a car so that you do not miss any key features.
- Take a test drive. Better than going through the motions of driving when the car is stopped, as the owner if you can take the car for a test drive. This will give you a feel for the way the car drives and if there are any issues with the engine or even just a funky sound. Having a car that you like to drive is also an important factor and you want to get a car that is right for you.
- Ask questions! If you are curious about any aspect of the car that the owner has not mentioned, do not be afraid to ask. Buying a car is a big deal and you do not want to have regrets because you failed to ask about something that was unclear or worrisome. The owner has to give you an answer, so there is no way you can end up being less informed than you were before.
Lemon Squad: A Wrench Company
Wrench is committed to learning and improving all of our services to keep our customers happy with our work. In order to keep growing and improving our used car inspection services, we have acquired a company of used car inspectors called Lemon Squad. Lemon Squad technicians have been dominating the used car inspection industry by providing peace of mind to each and every customer. To get peace of mind when you are on the look out for a new used vehicle, book an appointment with Lemon Squad! To learn more about Lemon Squad and our used car inspection services, click here.
While this may sound like a lot of things to keep track of, trust us when we say that it will be worth it when you come home with a car that you feel good about. Do not cut corners or buy the first car you see, because chances are you will be passing up on a better opportunity. Lastly, remember that Wrench is here to help you in any way, whether it be conducting an inspection prior to the sale, changing the tires, or fixing any blemishes that you may end up wanting to get rid of. Your safety and happiness is our top priority, so schedule an appointment with a Wrench mobile mechanic today!
Get a free quote