As the temperature drops and the winter months approach, it is important to be prepared. Your car should be in the best condition possible so that you are equipped to handle any kind of weather you may encounter. If you have not already done so, schedule an appointment with a Wrench mobile mechanic to get your car serviced and back on the road running smoothly. If you have recently had an appointment with us but just want to make sure your car is as prepared as possible for the winter, you have come to the right place. One of the best things you can do for your car is to top off all of the fluid levels, so you do not run the risk of any related issues. If you have no idea what fluids we are referring to, stick around! We’ve got you covered. Knowing how to check your car’s fluids levels and top them off if necessary is a great skill to have that could save you from potentially hazardous issues down the road.
Get a free quote
- Engine oil. This is your car’s most important oil and should be checked regularly. Your car should come with a dipstick that can be used to check the oil level and determine whether it should be changed or not. If you do not feel confident changing your oil yourself, schedule an oil change with one of our ASE-certified technicians - they would be happy to help! One of the best things you can do for your car is following the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual, which will tell you how often to get the oil changed in addition to other routine services. In addition to checking the oil level, you should also check the quality. If you notice any discoloration or dirt in the oil, this is a good sign that you should get the oil and filter changed immediately.
- Engine coolant. Also known as antifreeze, this is the fluid that helps regulate the temperature under the hood. Overheating is the last thing you want, especially when it is so easily avoidable. Keeping the engine coolant level high helps lubricate the coolant pump, which is beneficial for avoiding any internal damage.
- Transmission fluid. We know there are a lot of engine fluids to keep track of, but you can trust us that they are all important! Transmission fluid is what helps keep your engine running smoothly and can help you avoid potentially hazardous issues in the future. Check your transmission fluid regularly so that it never runs out, and switch it out if you notice the color is off (usually this means dark or even black). Letting your transmission fluid level get too low could cause extreme damage to the engine, so it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Power steering fluid. As we enter the wetter season, it is crucial to have complete control over your car at all times. If you sense any sort of issues with your steering, you may be experiencing a lower power steering fluid level. Top this off regularly, and schedule an appointment with Wrench if you are still having issues.
- Wiper fluid. Although this does not directly affect your car’s engine performance, it is still a vital component of keeping you safe on the road. It is critical to your visibility, especially when driving in heavy rain or snow. Lucky for you, it is also the easiest to maintain, and a fluid you can easily top off yourself. While you’re at it, you might consider replacing your windshield wipers before the winter to ensure prime visibility.
- Brake fluid. Last but not least, make sure your brake fluid is topped off because this will ensure that your brakes are performing at the top of their game. The last thing you want is for your brakes to give out when you are caught in a snowstorm coming down from the mountain. For more information on how to prepare your car for the next ski trip, click here. If there are any abnormalities in your car’s braking system, the brake fluid is the first thing you should check. Make note of the brake fluid color as well, because anything other than translucent needs to be replaced.
We hope you now have a better understanding of why it is a great idea to top off your car’s fluids before the weather takes a turn for the worst! At Wrench, your safety is our top priority, and we want to do everything we can to make sure you and your car are taken care of. Now you can go into the winter months without stressing about unpredictable vehicle issues because you will be well prepared! Check out the Wrench blog for more information about how to prepare your car for winter, and enjoy the holidays! If you have any other questions about our services or using Wrench during a global pandemic, feel free to talk to our customer service team through email, at email@example.com, or by phone, at 844-997-3624.
Get a free quote